Tuesday, August 17, 2004

HAIR OF THE DOG

...Now you're messin' with a son of a bitch
A SON OF A BITCH!!!
Talkin' jive and poison ivy
You ain't gonna cling to me...

Or something like that.
It was Nazareth on that old debbil classic rock radio this afternoon. And I was smiling inside.
AND it was on during the regular timeslot for "Lunatic Fringe" by, I think, Red ryder. Thank god for small favors.
After further rumination on the subject of classic rock radio I realized that my problem with it goes way beyond feeling sorry for myself because I'm caught in that vortex...rocketing toward middle age, and not ready to be there yet. Don't get me wrong, I still dream of a selective wayback machine built especially for me.
Platform 2: Just exactly who decides what's classic? Around here, clear channel apparently. I see these youngish radio execs handing arbitrary set lists to DJ's, apparently compiled with state of the art demographics, and they play the same songs, over and over and over. It's like going to a friends house who has a 50 disc player set on shuffle, with the same 50 discs in it he loaded when he bought it 2 years ago. It's pathetic,really.
An example from this morning: Grand Funk..."We're an american band"...huh? What a poor example of this bands musical output...produced at the tail end of an amazing career , a top 40 hit, sure, but when you take in the breadth and scope of Grand Funk Railroad, you'd think they could pick something better (Closer to home doesn't count, cool riff, but that "I'm getting closer to my hooooooommmmmmeeeee shit gets old in a hurry)...How about "Sins a good mans brother" or "Winter in my soul" for a change? "Mr. Limousine driver" anybody?
I haven't heard Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" in forever...great song, seriously overplayed and whored to a beer commercial a few years back...but come on...it's 100 times better than fucking Van Halen's "Jump"...that's right...Jump...right off a fucking cliff you clown.
And speaking of Van Halen...or specifically Sammy Hagar, " I can't drive 55" is classic? How about when he was with a little band called Montrose...Songs like "Rock Candy" , "Space station #5" and "I've got the fire"? That's classic rock...
And for that matter, where's Humble Pie? Trapeze? The list goes on.
I would shit fire and save matches if I heard a Budgie song any Budgie song on a classic rock radio station..."Napoleon Bona part two" would especially kick my aural ass.
One can dream.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment