Monday, October 06, 2003

October
October is my favorite month of the year. The temperature is usually just about right and I get to keep all the windows and doors open day and night (we have burglar bars and three house dogs so break-ins are not a big worry.) The sky turns a beautiful blue color and the sunshine takes on a particular golden glow right before sunset. Even the moon has it's own special look during this month. My favorite seasonal beer appears in stores on sale (Spaten Oktoberfest) and the month ends with Halloween, my favorite holiday of the year. We haven't celebrated Halloween in quite a while, but we used to throw a big neighborhood party every year where our band and a few others from the area would play on our stage deck in the backyard and everyone would dress in silly costumes. It was so much fun, but the neighborhood changed and we can't get away with such shenanigans anymore. We've been invaded by yuppies and hit with a notice to comply for just about every ordinance on the books. I had to sell my '67 Chevelle because we didn't have a garage and having it sitting under a car cover under the carport wasn't okay. I had to get it running, tagged and inspected or else they would tow it off. I managed to find a buyer, but I'm not sure all the other "fixer-uppers" around here had as much luck. And just today, I received my "second notice" from the city because one of our trees had the nerve to grow it's branches out over the street and we haven't cut it back yet. I was hoping they'd forget about it, but I guess I'll be standing on a ladder in the middle of the street with a saw because I don't have the money for the $500 fine. I wonder if I can sue the city when some yuppie runs me down in their Expedition? I think this year I need to bring back a bit of that old bohemian flavor of this neighborhood for Halloween. Throwing a party in the old style is out since the cops will just come and shut us down, but I'm thinking a front yard full of tacky homemade Halloween decorations might be in order. Of course, there's probably a city ordinance against that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment