Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Not a social butterfly
Some friends of mine are kept more up to date on what's going on in my life from this blog than they are from a phone call or a visit. I'm not much for making phone calls or social visits. If there's an event or a reason to get together then I'll get out of the house, but otherwise I'm pretty content to just be myself during the day, puttering around the house in my own little world. Rob comes home in the evening and pries me away once and a while or maybe we just stay home to chat and eat dinner. I have one friend who uses email like I do and we definitely keep in touch; usually several emails a day and sometimes we are throwing them back and forth to each other more like instant messaging. She's the exception and most of my friends are not big email users.

This isn't behavior that came about because I lost my job. I've always been this way and even as a child I liked a lot of time to myself. I'm not exactly a loner because I'll talk your ear off if we meet for lunch or happy hour, but don't expect that every day. Maybe once a week, if even. Email is different story. I don't like instant messaging much so I don't think it's just the fact that with email there's no "personal contact". Besides, if that were the case, then I should love talking on the phone, but I hate it. I must be a throwback to some bygone era of living on the farm, keeping in touch with monthly get-togethers in town and writing letters. In fact, I'd be the one hosting the get-together because I love entertaining. We used to do a party at our house with a jam once a month (lots of musicians would come over and play) and I loved doing that. So I'm not exactly unsocial, but I just don't seem to like or need the frequency of contact that others folks seem to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment