Tuesday, October 21, 2003

THE FATE OF TERRI SCHIAVO...
I'm sure most of you have heard about the case in Florida involving Terri (in a "persistant vegative state" since 1990), Her husband (has had enough) and her parents ( Can't let go and will go so far as to demonize the husband to keep their daughter "alive" , no matter what she may have said prior to her induction into the veggie hall of fame).
And then there's the lawsuits,filed tit for tat, a plea to gub'ner jeb and a reaching out to his brother the idiot...I mean pResident. The state's involved and they have reversed an earlier ruling allowing this poor woman to go.
I can relate to all of this except the state getting involved(thank god) and making decisions that should be left to "next of kin" -The husband ( who,hopefully has power of attorney,something that protects him from the parents who wishfully say she responds to them...)
Have you seen the pictures of this woman? Does she look responsive to you?
She looks an awful lot like my Dad, who died in '99 after having a stroke in '90 thet left him in a coma for 90 days and when he woke up,he was essentially a zucchini.
A zucchini that got turned and watered and fed for NINE agonizing years...
And during those years endured amputations because of gangrene,a feeding tube and countless bouts of pneumonia...Would any of you describe this as any kind of "quality" of life???If you do...may it be visited upon you and then asked of you again...WHEN YOU CAN'T ANSWER anymore because you are produce,turned and watered and fed for however long it takes you to finally run out...like a battery...silent and unable to say what YOU want.
When my mother died in '92 I got to tell my Father over and OVER again that she was gone...we had to relive that passing for almost seven years every time I visited him , about 125 times...This was big fun,breaking my Father's heart 125 times until he died.
And Terri will die,god bless her,someday...and how many times will hearts be broken and limbs removed and infections treated before that day?
This is not a valuing of life...more like a mockery if you ask me...and you can ask me...I've been there.
I love my Father...my Dad,even now that he's gone,and I tell you what...I wish he'd died that November day in 1990,it would of saved everyone (him especially) years of unecessary pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment