Friday, October 03, 2003

ME AND MY SHADOW
A couple of weeks ago this stray dog started circling our shop...a black dog.If anyone has any question about my affinity to peros negros , let this picture of my tres peros negros put it to rest...

Anyway...this dog started coming around and had no problem with the women , but anytime a man came near she would run away,tail between her legs,ears back.
Being a black dog I had no choice...I had to win her over.
I tempted her with food...leftover chicken fajita and pork tamales...laying a hansel and gretel trail that got shorter and shorter until she was right in front of me,snatching up the food and darting away...only to come back for more.
Finally, there was a sniff of the hand and a reluctant introduction.
By the end of the day she was my buddy...she made friends with Jim, the warehouse manager over the next couple of days...more connections were made during the past 2 weeks and now she is the "shop dog".
I took her to my vet yesterday and got the shots and had her de-wormed...gave her a collar with tags and she is officially ours.
Jim and Travis (our delivery driver) put up a fence to make her an enclosure free from the potentially deadly trucks that frequent our locale...Travis' mom (also a lover of black dogs...she has 2) brought bedding and toys.
She now has a home...and a name...Shadow...not because she is black, but because she follows you around...like a shadow.
This dog is friendly,intelligent,agile and well, intelligent...she learns commands with ease and loves contact in a non obnoxious way...gentle hugs...whoever had her before should be ashamed...not only because they obviously abused her,but because they missed out on a chance to have a truely unique experience.
An experience we enjoy and value.
I don't know what powers brought her to us...chance or otherwise...but I'm glad.
Our three black dogs came to us under bad circumstances and I'm proud to say we have given them a life of love and comfort and security.
And because of the likemindedness of my co-workers...we have afforded the same opportunity to Shadow...a black dog...and dammit...black dogs ROCK.

No comments:

Post a Comment