Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Serendipity
Serendipity happens all the time, but I forget to mention it here, tending to bitch about stuff instead these days. But today at work, I found myself sitting at my desk with no glasses. And these days, that means I can't read the computer screen to do my job, even with it set to the lowest resolution supported. Okay, I could strain and possibly make out most of it just from familiarity, but our system isn't designed for such low resolution and there were quite a few things I couldn't access because of that. Yeah, it's bad coding on the company's part, but that doesn't change the fact that I was in a pickle. The built-in Windows magnifier? Hah! No help at all if can't even scroll down or over to the item that I need to look at. And we were too short-staffed for me to run out and get a pair of reading glasses so I was going to have to manage the best I could for the next four hours until lunchtime.

But then Serendipity stepped in. The person sitting to my left noticed my struggle and just happened to have a backup pair of reading glasses in his car that I was welcome to use. Now the odds of this happening are extremely small - there is only one station next to me and only about four people total out of the whole company that use reading glasses. Other than folks in my position, seating is not assigned and I usually have a different neighbor every day. That I would have a neighbor who not only used reading glasses, but also had a backup pair in his car on the same morning that I was without glasses is nothing short of... well, Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment