Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Higher gas prices survey
My car insurance company sent me a survey asking a variety of questions. It was supposedly sent in an effort to improve service, but the questions had nothing to do with service and I suspect it was more for data mining. But maybe I'm just being cynical. Anyway, some of the questions involved higher gas prices; one was if I was planning on buying a new car with better gas mileage and the other was if I had changed my driving habits as a result of the price increase. My answer to both was no. My current car, the ancient 1992 Ford Tempo, gets around 20 miles per gallon with our mix of city/highway driving. While that's not great gas mileage compared to a Prius with it's 48 mpg city mpg, I only put about 3000/miles a year on my car. The savings from the increased gas mileage of a new car would be minimal and definitely not worth the car payment and higher car insurance costs. And I haven't changed my driving habits either since I've been driving as little as possible for a very long time. I'm probably in the minority here in the gas guzzling USA, but the only change that higher gas prices are likely to bring about is less money in my bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment