Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Funny how things work out
I posted a while back about our little incident with credit card fraud. The dispute form never did arrive by email, but the reason it never arrived was because I didn't need to fill one out in the first place. That was our experience the first time this sort of thing happened - no forms, no paperwork, just a phone call. I thought things had changed at the bank, but it turns out the only thing different this time was that I got a customer service rep who gave me incorrect information. Having to wait for a new card was a bit of an inconvenience, but it turned out to be so worth the hassle. Little did I know that Rob had spent the month of June chatting up a storm on his cell phone and had managed to run up a huge bill. If that charge had run through instead of bouncing due to the canceled card, we would have found ourselves up to our eyeballs in overdraft fees. The phone bill is one of those bills I don't pay too much attention to. For years, the bill has been pretty much the same each month, varying by $20 or so depending on how much Rob talks to Special K up in Canada (there's a small surcharge for calls to Canada, easily affordable.) Rob has a 600 minute plan - 600 anytime, free for nights (after 9pm apparently) and weekends. It's always been plenty of minutes. But in June, Rob talked a whopping 1552 minutes, much of it during peak hours so the bill was double the usual amount. Ouch. And I did look at the bill to make sure nothing was hinky, but the calls were all legitimate. So Rob gave the phone company a call and they did us right (as they probably should given that we are long-long-term customers) and we have until the 5th to pay off the balance. Where the extra money will come from, I don't know, but I figure if the Universe can orchestrate some petty credit card fraud to save us hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees, then it can produce the extra money to pay the bill as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment