Tuesday, February 19, 2008

GRIND

We are back to installing plugs and switches and lights.It is redundant to the point of inducing at the very least,melancholy,and the very worst,psychosis.On a positive note,it's usually very easy.
But sometimes,in the midst of doing the same thing over and over,you can miss some things.
Today I did not.I was getting ready to install the plug for the dryer and something didn't seem right and then it hit me,the wire was the wrong size.It was too small.Most residential applications call for #12 (a reference to thickness) wire based on the amp draw.Lighting and small appliances generally don't have a large amp draw,but a dryer does.In this case,it is controlled by a 30 amp two pole breaker rather than a single pole 20 amp breaker used in lighting and small appliances (dishwasher,disposal,lighting).The dryer requires #10 wire,heavier and with increased ampacity.Confused yet?:)Simply put,the #12 wire would heat up excessively,cause the breaker to trip constantly and pose a significant fire hazard-Yay me! I saved the day!Except...the walls are finished,in order to change the #12 wire to #10 we have to perform surgery on 3 walls to expose our errant wire and replace it from the device box back to the panel.We have to cut out the sheetrock without damaging the other wire running through under it.Bored yet?Yeah,me too.
Moving on.
That tattoo pictureI posted last night...It's point of reference,or where did that image come from?Or,where did you get the idea for that? is from a scene from A Clockwork Orange,where Alex and his droogs are entering a tunnel and encounter an old drunk who they proceed to beat the piss out of.I watched that scene last night,and that tattoo captures it eerily.I was very impressed.And wished I'd of thought of it back when I had room for it-Ha!
Anyway...blah-blah-blah...

No comments:

Post a Comment