Thursday, February 14, 2008

DINING AT HOME

During the most recent wave of lean times at Casa de Depthmarker,we have been eating in.Truth is,we've been eating in for a while but not until recently has it taken such a menu based focus,with planned shopping trips for more than just tonights dinner.We've been budget minded and trying to plan ahead.
Something I haven't written about much (if at all),is that back in the headache days I was a certified food manager.Really,licensed by the city and everything.This allowed me to plan menus for our clients and re-fit the kitchens at two places I managed.
I haven't put these skills to use in a long time,beyond the weekend BBQ's the Wolves have had here at Club Spit Central.
I do almost all of the cooking here - not because Ann can't cook- it's because she's lazy!(just kidding).It's because I really like to cook.
So far we have had...
Breaded fried lemon pepper catfish filets with fried potatoes and green beans cooked with bacon and honey drenched cornbread.
Grilled beef ribs in a greek styled rub(no sauce) with succotash and Ann's home made cornmeal bread .
Cajun breaded pork cutlets with mashed potatoes and gravy with reheated succotash.
(Ann made)Chili cheese dogs with tater tots.
Crock pot cajun chicken stew with potatoes and carrots.
And tonight I made fried chicken with onion/garlic corn and crispy potato wedges.I can count the times I've made fried chicken on one hand and a thumb.For some reason,the simplicity of frying yardbird escapes me.But,with the exception of my coating not sticking very well,it was cooked through and tender and juicy.(This coming from Ann,who is not a fan of chicken).
It's been fun getting back in the kitchen with a plan.
And the dogs like it too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment