Thursday, December 23, 2004

THIS IS CHRISTMAS TO ME

I was on the gravy ailse at the local third world grocery tonight when this hispanic dude walked up to me and said "excuse me". He was your typical mid twenties hispanic dude, buzz haircut and dickies, there everywhere south of the river, but he looked familiar. Then he asked me if I had worked at Spectrum (one of many names for the youth shelter I managed 10 or 11 years ago) , I said yes and then he asked if I recognized him...I said he looked familiar to me and asked his name, he told me and then explained he was placed there by the texas youth commission (usually they were runaways or homeless youth) and then my synapse's fired and I got an image of this clowning gangsta vato. I did remember him, and he obviously remembered me. And he didn't want to kick my ass...his demeanor was warm, like when you see an old friend. I asked him how he was doing and what he was doing...doing well and working as a welder. I told him I was now an electrician and he said " I guess you finally got tired of it, huh"? he smiled and we said goodbye.
This happens every once in a great while, and it always stirs up that social worker in me, in a good way. I guess I made an impression on this kid...kid?shit,he's pushing 30. But that was always the point, wasn't it?

-------------------------------------------------

We wrapped up the day today and parted until jan. 3rd...that's right, I'm off until the 3rd. I'm going to try to be productive during this break, but the inclination to drink vodka and fuck off is strong. I have a list of things to do, and here it is:

1. Saw down the pox of winter denuded mulberry saplings that took over our back yard during the summer.

2. Consolidate three turtle pens into one three section pen.

3. Clear the carport and driveway.

4. Work on the den.

5. Put away the myriad guitars and amps in the livingroom so we can have a livingroom again.

6. Major clean on the kitchen.

Yeah...right. 1,2 and 4 involve power tools and demolition (!) so I put the smart money on those...I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment