Tuesday, February 10, 2004

MONDAY ON, OF ALL THINGS, A MONDAY.
Another dreary Austin winter day,raining just enough all day to make it really spicy driving to and from work. Speaking of driving to work...we are currently a one vehicle family and now that Ann is employed,we have to get ready for work in the morning-at the same time.
I am not a morning person...in fact,when I wake up,I suffer from a kind of transient retardation...if I deviate from my routine,bad things can happen...forgetting the phone,the work keys...really minor stuff,but in the early hours,are akin to the greatest atrocities known to man.And they result in a tourettes-styled utterance of profanities.
I don't like to talk in the morning...to other people I mean, on the way to work I talk to myself,I talk to the assholes on the am radio talk show I listen to,and I talk to other drivers on the road (even though I know they can't hear me)-refer to tourettes-styled utterances for content.
I stop at the 7-11 and get my coffee,and by the time I get to the shop the retardation has usually receded and I can engage socially-grumpily-but socially.
Now that Ann is riding with me in the morning,I find myself in the unique situation of having to converse,the subjects no longer limited to my growly comments to other drivers about how lucky they are I don't have a concealed carry permit (yet).
I'm sure I'll adjust,and anyway,soon we will have both vehicles running again and I can resume my rainman impersonation unfettered.
The work day dragged on...and on. We continue adjusting to our new system. I was off last thurs. and fri. and had a PILE of purchase orders that needed to be entered.Plus the purchase order from our early buy for this year (about 15 or 20 pages of items,single spaced).
The warehouse manager and I decided I would take the pile and he would take the early buy-since those items are common and it would be easier for him to get used to the new system.Wrong...as he encountered the numerous bugs,he would come to me for help,I would explain the bug and he would move on...3 hours later and 6 pages of entering completed,he became so frustrated he closed the document...without saving it...POOF!All gone!Go back to start!HAHAHA! said his computer...now,normally,this would be followed by the most vile profanities,screamed at the top of his lungs in the warehouse,where he thinks we can't hear...we can,and in some twisted way it's endearing..."oh,isn't that cute ****'s going off again".Not this time,he was beaten...completely,utterly beaten.It was truely a sad sight to see.
It was still raining when I headed home,when it rains in Austin two things happen:
1.people get really fucking stupid and:
2.they crash into each other.
So it was death race 2000 through downtown for my afternoon commute...with the radio blaring the play by play every 10 minutes...weather and traffic..."it's still raining and people are really fucking stupid and,in fact,there are 5 more wrecks to report....."
It's suppose to rain all week...god help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment