Saturday, September 13, 2003

Thoughts about 9-11
Essay over at Stupid Angry Canajun reminds me that I made no mention of the events of 9-11-2001. I've been a little preoccupied and haven't had the chance to sit down and really think about how I feel in regards to this subject, but I'll give it a try.

It was a tragic event made even more tragic by what has transpired in the aftermath. I fear that our government has thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I simply cannot understand why they would respond to an attack by foreign fanatics against freedom and liberty with their THEIR OWN attack against freedom and liberty. Each anniversary brings more rhetoric and more requests for "Big Brother"style legislation. It boggles my brain and I feel it does a great injustice to those who died on that day and to those who have subsequently perished in the "war against terror". Consider the thought that the terrorists' objectives were to damage the freedoms of Americans and wreck economic havoc. This may or may not have been their actual objective, but I've certainly heard that stated often enough by various politicians. And from what I can see this has certainly come to pass, but it wasn't the terrorists who accomplished these things. It was those very same politicians. Irony is definitely not dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment