Saturday, September 13, 2003

Health Insurance around the World
I'm finally catching up with my blog reading, including my own comments, and I'd like to thank Blue Witch for her comment about the lack of communication by medical staff. I have been trying in vain to reply to this all day with no luck. Perhaps Enetation is having another server fit or it's Blogspot's problem or my ISP's DNS server is feeling crabby - you just never know when so many things are out of your control. I really miss running this blog on my own server and network. *thinks about the maintenance that was involved and recants* Anyway, I got to wondering if I had ever heard anyone say they were satisfied with the healthcare plan provided by their country. Obviously this doesn't apply to US residents, but I used to be a Benefits Coordinator and one of my responsibilities was to help the new employees sign up for the company health insurance. A good part of the civilized world has automatic health coverage and some of these people chose to come the to US and work for the company that was my employer. Some of them were more than happy to sign up for the company health plan, but there were a few exceptions. No one from Finland ever wanted any part of our benefits. The same with anyone from the Netherlands. The Germans were usually on the fence and wanted to take the information home for further review. Without fail, anyone from the UK, Canada or France signed up on the spot. I must admit it gave me a bit of a negative view on socialized medicine, but that was many years ago. The deductible on that health plan was $250/year. The deductible on my current health plan provided my my husband's employer is $5000/year. I have a feeling things would be very different if I were a Benefits Coordinator today.

No comments:

Post a Comment