Saturday, September 13, 2003

Goodbye to the Hot Tub
Today we say goodbye to the used hot tub we bought several years ago. We never hooked it up because we discovered that we only had a 100 amp drop to the house. The hot tub needs 50 amps all by itself. A check into getting a 200 amp drop revealed that we would have to update and relocate the service entrance (which would require tearing down the carport or the patio or maybe both) AND rewire the entire house. Oops. We should have remembered that this house was built when the only major electrical appliances were a refrigerator, a washing machine, and maybe a TV. After all, we've had plenty of experience arranging the house by electrical circuit rather than any sort of interior design concept. No, the TV can't go in the logical spot for it because the 'fridge is on that circuit. No, the computer equipment can not all go in the office where it belongs, but instead must be scattered strategically around the house. Did we remember these little facts of life when the opportunity to get a "deal" on a hot tub presented itself? No, we did not and so I've had a hot tub sitting in my back yard taunting me; reminding me on a daily basis that I can be a complete idiot at times. I'm very glad to see this memento of my stupidity leave the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment