Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Out of pocket
My dad's been in the hospital this last week so I haven't been blogging any (reading or writing.) All is good at this point since they found a problem, did surgery and a full recovery is expected. I thought I'd be blogging about that experience tonight, but instead I received a certified letter from the IRS today that freaked me out even more now that my dad was out of danger. Maybe it was the fact that my stress levels were already high or maybe it has more to do with my deep seated fear of the IRS, but in my mind, these are people who will seize your house, your car, your bank account and put you in jail. The woman I spoke to today for an hour and a half was definitely the best "customer service rep" I've spoken to in a long time, but that didn't stop me from shaking from head to toe by the time I hung up the phone. Later in the day I described my reaction to Rob (and my confusion as to why I was so freaked out) and he had this great analogy. Rob described it as being in a room with a Doberman who was wagging it's tail. You are not sure exactly what to do, but you know if you make the wrong move you are going to get bit. Bingo!

Things are cool with the IRS and as long as we "stay in touch" and do this, that and the other before November 7th we are not going to lose our house because we owe a measly $6000 to the government. A government that wants to spend BILLIONS on Iraq while ignoring all the American people like me that are out of work and can't pay their bills, much less their back taxes. ARGH! How about at spending at least a couple of billions to help create jobs to replace all the ones that have gone out of country?

No comments:

Post a Comment