Sunday, September 14, 2003

Patriotism and Citizenship
This post from Jim at Snooze Button Dreams really struck a nerve. During WWII, some of my family refused to renounce Germany when the US government demanded that they do so. They didn't approve of Hitler at all, but to renounce the Motherland completely was unthinkable, US citizenship or not. That caused some real problems for them, but despite that they remained fiercely patriotic to America and willingly sent their sons off to war. Their sons (my father included) willingly went forth. I find it very strange that a country built on immigrants is so intolerant, then and now, of the immigrant's point of view. Even I, two generations removed from Germany, still feel a strong emotional tie to that Motherland. Maybe it's a cultural thing and while I don't have a Späten to offer as a toast, I have something a bit closer than Budweiser - a Shiner Bock. So here's to Germany with all it's flaws, past and present, because that's land of my ancestors. (And for those of you without a clue, it's about the land and family, NOT whatever government happens to be in power at any point in time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment