Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Something different
I got cut loose early from work today. I've been told this was a commonplace occurrence back in the old days before I got hired, but until now it's been a very rare occurrence for me. It's happened a few times on a Saturday, but hey, no problem. I love to get off early on Saturdays and it's the one day I have a car. Today I had no car, but I was in luck because I just happened to have money for bus fare in my pocket (another rare occurrence.) So I caught the bus to HEB to do the grocery shopping until Rob got off work and could come by and pick me up. Now I hear people in Austin all the time say that the busses are always empty, but I have to wonder just what busses they are talking about. This one, like every other bus I've ridden that goes anywhere near my neighborhood, was almost full and it was standing room only after the next stop. And unfortunately the empty seat that I found was on the front row which gave me a clear view of the driver who kept turning around and talking to a passenger WHILE HE WAS DRIVING! I must admit he was quite good at driving while not looking out the windshield, but it was very unnerving. I did manage to make it to the HEB without ending up in a bus accident and I wandered around picking out something for dinner and gathering other odds and ends that we needed. Now I don't know if this ever happens to you, but there's always one family with a bevy of kids that end up in my way no matter where I go. I'm on the meat aisle and they there are. I buzz over to the other end of the store to pick up some bread and damn if they haven't beat me to it. Double back to the paper plates in the middle of the store and sure enough, there they are again! I suppose the good thing about this delay was that Rob ended up in the parking lot before I had finished checking out and I didn't have to wait outside with my cart alongside all the little old ladies waiting for their cabs to arrive. Since I had the shopping out of the way early we ended up at home before 5 PM which was a nice touch. And I really won't miss the extra $8 or so take home money I would have earned if I'd worked my entire shift. Not a bad twist to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment