Thursday, April 14, 2005

SO WHAT? IT'S MY PEROGATIVE

I've been railing away on this god and politics thing for a couple of days now, and today I was thinking about what to write for todays entry and it occured to me. "Self" I said, " You have religious stuff tattooed on your body". Doesn't that make me some kind of hypocrite? Why in the world would someone who professes to be so fucking secular adorn their body with religious iconography? Here's the main one:jesus. This started out with the word suffer, later I added the image of our favorite hippy sporting his crown of thorns, after that I added the devil spreading his evil from above. One of the suggestions for my jesus was to " cover his face with so much blood you can only see the tip of his nose...barely". Obviously, I declined.
The simple explaination for these particular choices is jesus suffered for our sins, and if that's what you guessed it meant, you'd be half right. The flip side of this coin is I thought it would look cool to have the devil throwing the "devil sign" and wearing my earrings over the enduring image of jesus wearing the crown of thorns...his expression crying out "that pesky lucifer, always tempting my flock and listening to Dio".
My other one is a sacred heart on the inside of my right forearm. Again with the catholic iconography. I guess I just can't help it.
But what does it all mean? Nothing. And everything.
I love the idea of the sacred heart...forever burning with a love that cannot be doused, no matter what you do to it. I love the images of Jesus sporting his sacred heart, he's all pointing at it as if to say "check out my heart, it's all pure and burning with a cross sticking out of it...it rocks, I rock...and by the way, I died for your sins"."That's what you have to do to get a heart like this one".
The bottom line is, I identify with this kind of iconography. It's a visual reminder of what it means to be religious, to have faith. Back to the root of it all, before we fucked it all up. And by we, I mean all of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment