Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sizzled Flesh
It hit 102 today, not unexpected for this time of year. I worked until around 1:30 then headed home trying to not get heat stroke in my un-airconditioned, no driver's side window rolling down Tempo which, thankfully, is white and not black. That bubbly window tint that used to annoy the shit out of me? So glad it's there now even if it does turn everything a weird shade of purple.

I cooled off a bit inside the house for a while, but then it was back out on the porch to spend time with our neighbor, Jen, who spent the morning loading up her truck with the last of her stuff to move off to far north Austin. One last farewell gathering, hanging out on the porch listening to music, drinking quality adult beverages and storytelling.

And so we were hanging out on the porch, pretty much oblivious to the heat since the conversation was so good when we noticed a guy on a motorcycle. He was pretty noticeable since he was pushing the bike along with his feet and then he'd try to get it started, with no luck. Back and forth he went. Jen hollered at him to ask if he needed gas and he said no, he wasn't out of gas and didn't know what was wrong. We watched him for a little while longer and finally he parked his bike on a side street, made a call on his cell phone and then sat dejectedly on the curb across the street under the shade of our neighbor's tree. And there he sat. And sat. And sat. And we started to feel sorry for the poor guy, out there sitting on the curb in this heat looking so dejected and we decided we absolutely had to go offer him a beer. After all, this is South Austin. You just don't let some stranded guy sit on a curb in the heat without offering him a beer! Across the street we went, Jen, Rob, Irene, me and of course, the beer offering. He declined the beer since he was heading back to work, but we had a nice long chat and then Jen, Rob, Irene and I headed back across the street.

I was about 50 feet away from the porch when I realized I no longer had the feet of my childhood that allowed me to walk and stand barefooted on asphalt and concrete in 102 degree weather. Not sure why it took so long for the pain to register, but once it hit, I hopped-skipped that last 50 feet as quick as I could. And discovered my feet are burned... sizzled... Oops. I just hope I don't end up with blisters, that would suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment