Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Experiment
I've spent the last few weeks at work doing what I said I wasn't going to do anymore which is identifying problems, pointing them out and trying to get them fixed. What can I say? I was bored just looking the other way. And so tomorrow I'm participating in an experiment to see if it's a possible solution to one of the problems. I'm going to take the one duty that is the most hated and most distasteful task in the job description and do just that for a whole day. Yes folks, I'm going to spend the whole day doing nothing but supervisor calls, both incoming calls and callbacks. We ran some statistics and there's a good chance that it's more workload than one person can handle by themselves, but we won't know until we try it. I actually came up with this idea back when I was a team leader, but realized I wouldn't be able to get any of the staff to volunteer for it and anyone that we forced to do it would quit. And although I've been one of the staff for a year now, I wasn't willing to propose the plan until today. We've spent the last year trying all sorts of other solutions that simply have not worked. I don't know if this one will work either, but it was time to try it. Like I said before, there's no way any of the other staff would volunteer for this so I offered to be the one to try it. I do have a get out of this clause in my agreement - if it drives me insane, makes me even more miserable or turns me into an evil crabby person, then the plan will be scrapped. But if it works as well as I think it might then the results would provide large benefits to the company, the providers, the customers and even some small benefits to myself. I'm not completely altruistic here, there are some perks that would come along with the torture of non-stop supervisor calls. Whether the perks would be enough to balance the stress of such a position remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment