Monday, August 25, 2008

NEW HIKING SHOES/COLE SPRINGS

I blew out my old tennis shoes that I walk in the other day,and since I had/have some overtime coming,I spent some of it on some new hiking shoes.They are amazingly comfortable-no break in period-I just put them on and went...


To Cole springs,just inside of the (not so much anymore) small and quaint city of Buda,about 30 minutes from our house.There's lots of development going on as Austin and San Antonio gradually merge into one big cluster fuck of housing developments,with Buda in the cross hairs.

When Kyle was a wee child,I used to take him fishing there.Kyle had a tendency back then to throw his fishing rod into the water as a part of his casting.On one trip to Cole he dumped his rod into the creek from a cliff about 10 or 15 feet tall,I had to climb down it,get in the water and retrieve the errant rod-with a new (still in a bandage)ankle tattoo.How I avoided typhus or some such other waterbourne malady is one for the books.

I had a great photo opportunity when we first arrived,clear water with large fish schooling.I broke out my camera and turned it on..."no card present"-AKK!!!My memory card was in my computer at the house.So we drove home to retrieve it and went back.
I was sadly disappointed upon further exploration.The surrounding development has choked the life out of much of what was a beautiful place-the water all fuzzy and silt laden.I never saw any more large fish,or any turtles.Just minnows (which could live in a filthy toilet)and lots of trash.
Irene still enjoyed herself,but I was saddened by the loss of another special place...raped and pillaged by development run amok.

No comments:

Post a Comment