Monday, March 26, 2007

What goes down must come up
I made the mistake of reading my work email this morning before I went to work. I usually do this over coffee without too much ill effect, but there were a couple of emails in my box from the top dog at the company that were addressed only to me. This put me in a very foul mood because it reminded me how much under the microscope I've been for the last several months and it's becoming more than just a thorn in my side. That thorn is now firmly embedded under the skin and starting to generate pus. This does not bode well. Emails that I would not have batted an eyelash at a few months ago managed to generate a mood that was likely to endanger any unsuspecting idiot driver on my way to work. But after few deep breaths and a fair amount of cussing, I was able to make the drive without actually running anyone off the road. I admit though, it was extremely hard to resist the urge to ram the idiot that was only half-way pulled into the Starbucks parking lot and blocking my lane for no apparent reason (logic prevailed when I remembered my Tempo was no match for her gigantic SUV.) And despite the bad start to the day, the fact that my Monday floor managing shift always sucks, the news that my dad (currently in the hospital for pneumonia) was having a rough day, the reality of a 12 hour day in the office and three more hours of work at home when I finally got there... despite all these things, I end the day in a pretty good mood. Now maybe I'm crazy or maybe it's because one of the advantages of age is that you learn that all of these things are just minor annoyances when it comes to the big picture and five years from now (or even two months from now,) none of it is going to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment