Thursday, March 22, 2007

IT'S GOOD TO HELP YOUR FRIENDS

Unless it involves electrical work in an old house. I have been helping this friend of mine with her kitchen...some track lighting over the sink and installing a range hood. She would like it done by her birthday party, which is sunday.
I have the holes in the ceiling to mount the track and the hole cut in the wall for the dimmer switch,but there's a problem. There are two vertical studs back to back between the hole for the switch and the hole for the track.I spent 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today trying to get through said studs. I bought a flexible drill bit(a really cool gadget that allows you to bend the bit to a 90 degree angle to get into tight spots ) I was successful!
All I had to do was push the fish tape through, pull in the wire then easy street.
Wrong.
The fish tape wouldn't push through...nor would the jack chain.
Because there are horizontal studs between the window casing and my original stud obstacle.
EEEEYAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHUH!!!
The only way to install this track lighting is to remove an entire section of her sheetrock so I can see what I'm fucking dealing with stud wise.
I just spoke with her and she's all about it...even has the drywall, mud and pieces and parts to do it. So...
Onward! Into the abyss of old house interior walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment