Sunday, March 25, 2007

BLACK EYE

There's this Uncle tupelo song that speaks to the decline of character called black eye. It's a wonderful song and while I've always loved it,I've never felt a personal connection to it...until tonight.
I discovered my last eastern box turtle,Flower,dead.Those of you that have known me or read this blog for any period of time will be familiar with my activities re turtle conservation.But I have been slowly drifting away from it...
I have been neglecting my charges for a while now,and had I been more attentive I might have been able to bring flower back...again.
There was the initial rescue,then the oh my god it's 107 in the shade turtle bake that took several of my babies and forever cooked Flower's brain. She was never the same after that.
At the peak of my involvement in turtle rescue I had upwards to 100 turtles rehabbing at my house...fucking turtles everywhere.And each and everyone had a name and a history that I knew...I was dedicated...but not so much anymore.
So off to wildlife rescue they go tomorrow...except for Carmen,the black river turtle from Cuba...and the pair of ornate wood turtles...and Club and Nubs and Fluffy...
connections are funny.Maybe I need to think about this some more.
Nah...They gotta go,except maybe Club and....
I'll keep you posted.Attachment is a complicated thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment