Monday, January 08, 2007

THINGS THAT MYSTIFY ME...V.2

Or, to be blunt, we were robbed over the weekend. Not me and Annabelle, my company and our jobsite. Of somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 to 500 pounds of copper wire. The going rate for scrap copper is in the range of 3 to 4 US dollars ( I'm reminded of a National Lampoon article from my high school days where a Vietnamese woman is quoted to say " american money is worthless in Viet Nam, but 2 or 3 hundred dollars rolled up together makes for an effective tampon") Anyway, back to the robbery. An unbelievable hassle for us because they stole it from our panels....from the outside feed from the city, 50 feet into and up to the second floor to the main inside panel. We had terminated the outside panel, that is to say, we had made our connections, but inside we did not...figuring that inside with a guard...our slack wire would be safe, plus some of the crew worked an 8 on saturday finishing lighting. Wrong.
Now, what's the haul here? Let's say 400 pounds of copper on the mid end of 3.25 USD a pound. $1300.00 USD...that's alot of tampons dude!
It was obvious the wire had been cut with a cutter designed for it and not a jig or hack saw. In fact, our gang boxes had been broken into ( with a key ) and our bolt cutters were gone. Hmmmmmm.
It was also obvious that right to left our criminals had intended to leave us enough wire to land our connections but got distracted and fucked us royal on the last few cuts. So, we had to pull out 12 conducting wires and 3 grounds, buy new wire and repull it. To the tune of $4600 USD time and material. ( Not to mention those Vietnamese women reduced to using Bhat...man:) I can drive trivia into the fucking ground. huh? Well it is Bloghuh? so piss off.
Amazingly, none of this mystifies me. I understand theft, I understand criminals, I understand 1300.00 for 45 minutes work. what I don't understand is the reaction of the crew and owners. The perps left clues...namely Beer cans...24 ounce cans of a particular brand that I and most of you would describe as (in the most kindest terms) as "Yak Urine" or "Marmot pre-cum". And there is a company employee who drinks this "Vole Piss" , so folks are speculating it was an inside job.
And that's what mystifies me about this...it's two fold...why would anyone steal from a company providing them a good living? I know that's a bit naive, but it would never occur to me, I mean, I've taken a pencil or pen home over the years, but come on. And, the people pointed out in the knitting circle of hens that are electricians as the perps gives you a clear idea of the pecking order.
Man...all this gave me was an 11 hour day, sore shoulders, a nasty gash to my left thumb, and a need to scratch my head again about the ability of people to talk shit.
And for the record, my money is on those crack head, paid by the day assholes that wear orange vests and push brooms around all day for 6.00 an hour that couldn't say enough to me about the scrap copper from the first pull, but I'm just sayin'.
Go ahead...read some more from these folks who are mystified by shit...I dare you. Really...

Aprosexic

Blue Witch

bob's yer uncle

Jen&HerBoat

Kitchen Witch

La Que Sabe

Purple Pen

Santiago Dreaming

Who Knows Where Thoughts Come From





No comments:

Post a Comment