Tuesday, January 02, 2007

GET OVER YOURSELF ALREADY

Advice I would be wise to take more times than I care to remember. This guy I'm working with recently left his wife of 10 or so years and is setting up a new life, and while ( according to him ) it was a largely miserable marriage, he's having a hard time with the new found seperation from a familiar yet, intolerable spouse and his 3 kids he clearly loves a great deal. You miss the familiar, right? Right...So, I get the venting...and lots of it.
This morning he was reeling from the final "exchanging of the prisoners" weekend...clearing out the house, splitting up the years of accumulated memories defined by stuff...you know, your stuff, my stuff...stuff. He was clearly upset by this, and while construction workers...electricians in our case, are not the most therapeutically minded people in the world, you know dealing with feelings and all. This guy is very open about his shit, to anyone who will listen. While that works in some circles, it doesn't always work so well with us electricians. Remember, I was a social worker type for years, so men expressing feelings and crying is completely normal to me, some guys it just freaks out.Most of those guys, it turns out are electricians ( go figure) .
I understand what he's going through, I went through it when I was his age, I don't mind listening to him process his grief. I understand it's important. He's a new breed...construction worker/has feelings and shares them...those fucking 30 somethings, I tell ya, what have we done to ourselves?
So to him I say "Get over yourself already" , when you are, and I'm your friend so, dude, I'm gonna listen and give you the benefit of my experience (If you want it or not), quit apologizing to me for being human.
Other than that we started installing our outdoor service panels today, I pinched the fuck out of my hand with the super jumbo knock out set ( it makes holes in metal enclosures ) giving myself the biggest blood blister I've had in years.
That's all that happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment