Thursday, December 28, 2006

WHY I ENJOY BEING AN ELECTRICIAN...AS REQUESTED BY ANONYMOUS

I don't normally do requests, but, the comment inspired me to actually explore the reasons why I enjoy my trade so much. First and foremost, it's the sense of accomplishment...of creating something that while completely utilitarian, can also be a work of art (pipe bending is a perfect example, you take a straight piece of pipe and bend it, by hand, to fit the contours of your path).
I am constantly presented with challenges...how to make something work out and look professional...it makes me think and plan and use my brain as well as my hands. Speaking of hands...tools!
I have the coolest tools at my disposal, all of the hand tools are mine personally ( it's like buying shoes or vintage clothing...the tools make the man, man) and an array of power tools that are fun to utilize. Sure, we have the usual drills and saws, but we also have power benders for bending pipe that's larger than 1 1/4 "...heat guns for bending PVC pipe, tools that require skill.
I spent much of my adult life dealing with people in crisis, and during that time I never thought much about the skilled trades beyond " I could never do that " or " I wouldn't want to do that ". I was surrounded by people of similar opinions and goals in life and that brings me to the people. The trade is populated by an amazing diversity of people. I've worked with and for rednecks, hippies, redneck hippies, old school punks, hip hop brothers. Alot of the old timers are second and third generation electricians who carry a wealth of hints and shortcuts...so if you pay attention, you constantly learn new ways of doing things or affirm that your way is better.
After almost three years, I can say that I am ( and feel ) competant as an electrician, I still have a long way to go ( understanding the nuances of the actual electricitry ) , but the mechanics are firmly in place. And for that I owe a debt to the journeymen who got me this far...Rusty,Lee, Wolfie, Adolph, Carlos, Kevin, Steve, and most recently Ryan. They don't call it the international brotherhood of electrical workers for nothing.
If you are a union electrician, you are paid well. A journeyman in the Austin local 520 makes in excess of $ 23.00 an hour, more than that if you are the foreman. The benefits are good.
But mostly, in the end, it's looking at that 300 plus foot pipe run you did at the end of the day and saying " that looks good".
You get home tired and dirty...with a sense of satisfaction and a plan for tomorrow.
If you aren't afraid of : hard work, dirt, constant noise, heights and the possibility of being electrocuted ( possibly to death ) then I say go for it. It's a very dangerous, yet satisfying trade.
I think that about covers it...for now.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 AM

    you want the licensed and insured electrician one will ask friends and family for a referral. This is a great way to find a reputable electrician or electrical contractorLocal Electrician

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete