Wednesday, December 27, 2006

FROM BEYOND...

I'm sure you've seen Annabelle's posts about her current work situation, as I have. No, that's not entirely accurate, I have been living them with her and trying to make home life as stress free as possible. Since she has not burst into flames or killed the neighbors I think I have had some success. I have also been thinking about this job predicament she's in and trying to make some sense out of it. First off, let me say that she is my girl and, as expected, I am biased. But...I have never liked the management model of the company she works for. To my estimation, it is some quasi- japanese business model that boils down to profit over employee satisfaction, kind of a slave shop but with computers instead of sergers...imagine if you will, 45 people slaving away in front of compaq desktops from 7 to 10 hours a day dealing with every miscreant on the lower 48. Imagine computer illiterates inundating you with the stupidest questions and queries known to man...
Now, Imagine you are the supervisor of these 45 people, almost to a number are under 23, in college and the job is essentially beer money to them...and don't even get me started on the cadre of fat dykes in goodwill clothing that can't get work anywhere else. This company will hire anyone, no matter how recalcitrant or otherwise socially displaced and then bow up up when the sun doesn't shine out of thier asses. Imagine you are the supervisor expected to create rays of sunshine out of each and everyone of those asses. Your monthly bonus depends on it, nay, your ability to remain gainfully employed depends on it.
Unlike our parents, who got jobs and stayed with them for life until retirement, Ann and I are of a mid generation that got 2 or 3 jobs and that was our working life. Our employers appreciated us and the work we did and retained us for as long as we were willing to work...and provided for us when we got to retirement age.
Not so much anymore.
More and more companies are shifting to this japo-fuck-you model and more and more people are changing jobs like I change my socks, and when they transition into thier forties I wish them the same anxiety and uncertainty that we are experiencing now...they did it to us, they fucking deserve it back in kind.
My mom had a saying that I fuck up everytime I try to resay it, but I manage to just get the gist....
"As they are now, please do not diminish them, because you will surely someday be" or something like that that, but it was about respecting age...and experience...and it's value.

No comments:

Post a Comment