Monday, February 14, 2005

WELL I'M OUT DRIVING

It's late at night, I see a rest stop comin' up on the right...And so begins our song Rest Stop, a musical storyboard of a serial killer who stakes out rest areas and picks, robs and kills, then incinerates his victims. This was a spontaneous recording, at one of our practice/jams here at the house somewhere in the neighborhood of '95. Based on a riff our guitarist LT had been playing with, the peices just all fell together, and the story just fell ( or flew ) out of my mouth. I hadn't intended to "write" a song about a fire bug serial killer thief, it just happened.
When I sat down with the cassette to write down what I had spewed forth to do a rewrite, there was no rewrite to be done. Rest Stop became our set opener ( and sometimes closer ) for the duration of our life as an active performing band. With it's kinda crazy horse gallop and rolling bottom end it was just fucking fun to play, and especially for me because I got to sing it, much to the chagrin of some audiences...it made them uncomfortable, and I enjoyed that. For years.
So, why am I blathering on about this? Our band is coming up on it's 10th anniversary this April. We got so into working on our sets that the creative process that made being a band so much fun took a back seat and eventually lost patience and left the room entirely. Now, back in the creative stage of the game material was easy, most of the lyrics were me just spewing out failed relationship bile with an occaisional "I'm just a pathetic drunk" ballad ala' Uncle Tupelo, throw in a dash of punked up covers ( Delta Dawn, Gypsies,Tramps and Thieves ) some bleating harmonica and you had us, Wolves@th'Door. And our one shiny little peel the paint off the place gem, Rest Stop.
I need to write some new songs. Lord knows enough has happened personally and topically in these 10 years.
We'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment