Monday, February 28, 2005

Sometimes my job makes me laugh
By far the most amusing thing about my job is the assumption that most customers make about my age. I'm constantly told that "old age ain't for pussies, just wait until you hit 40" or that things which occurred in oh, say 1974, "happened before you were born." For the most part, I no longer dispel their notion of my youth unless asked directly about my age. In case you don't already know this, I'm 43 and while I'm not quite dust with boots on, I'm a still a bit older than many of the folks that call in for tech support. And I've learned over these past few months that customers are much more comfortable with the notion of a young whippersnapper having superior knowledge about computers than the reality that someone their own age or older might have some mastery of the subject. I won't lie about my age if asked directly, but what that does happen I can almost hear the bubble burst. There's always an awkward silence as the customer comes to grip with the realization that I'm not the person they thought I was. Fortunately those situations are rare and it's a pretty good bet that a customer who demands to know my age is also one of those customers that's behaving like an asshole so that moment of silence can be pretty sweet at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment