Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I'M REALLY LUCKY IF I THINK ABOUT IT

My son called me today, and he had an interview at Amy's Ice Cream, a stop on the road to nintendo, but a cool place to work. I supervised people who had worked for Amy's back in the day, and the memories were fond. Back in the day, they would hand you a delivery bag and instruct you to be creative, it was the application that bag, and you could write, draw and otherwise convince them you were worthy of employment. Things have changed since those heady days, but the interview was at least similar in tone and according to Kyle, went well. He should know by Sunday, lets all send him, and Amy's good job getting vibes. And for the record, he did all the right things in his interview.
How does that me lucky? Well, I have a kid who calls me and lets me know whats happening in his life, That's how it makes me lucky. Things were'nt always so good between us not so long ago...he's alot like me, just like me and my mom, and while I'm glad he's got that constitution, it hasn't resulted in the major conflicts me and my mom had...yet. Time will tell.
It might seem kind of weird to be singing the praises of a sucessful father/son relationship, but when you factor in his singular willfullness coupled with my background, it truley is a good thing.
I don't know exactly what he thinks about my performance as a dad, but I think we did OK. Neither one of us is in prison, yet.
And this leads up to the newest addition to my circle, another journeyman became a father yesterday...a boy, and to him I say welcome to the game. He is now a parent, I wish him luck and the same joyous experience I had with my son in those early days.
It's hard to reconcile the infant to the toddler to the teenager to the adult, but in my case, it was worth the trip, and I wish him that joy of hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment