Saturday, September 20, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation
I slept. And slept. And slept some more. It was mah-va-lous! I did do a small amount of housework and I spent some time playing Eve Online, but mostly I just took a lot of naps. I think I've discovered a new personal definition of luxury - the ability to sleep or nap whenever you want.

I went back to work on Wednesday and the first thing I saw was a big sign on the back door that said "DO NOT SLAM THIS DOOR". This was a perfect reminder of how things are done at this company because this door has a hydraulic closer that causes the door to slam shut. The only way to prevent the door from closing with a bang is to stand in the doorway and let it hit you on your backside. Once again instead of fixing a problem, they just slap the employees on the ass.

I also got a good chuckle over the memo that had been posted when it looked like Hurricane Ike was headed our way "The internet never closes and neither do we. You are expected to report for your shift NO MATTER WHAT." As if the service we provide is so important that people need to risk their lives to come to work to earn their $8/hour paycheck.

The vacation obviously did me some good since I just laughed at both of these things along with quite a few other typical scenarios that normally would have made me angry. I'm curious to see how long this new attitude lasts - it sure would be nice if it's a permanent change.

No comments:

Post a Comment