Sunday, September 07, 2008

LETTERS TO ENGLAND

While I was digging up the pony picture from Boot Hill,I found a couple of letters-one my Dad sent and one I sent to my Mom while she was in England way back in 1974.
I remember clearly thinking that my parents had separated and were divorce court bound at the time and I was crushed-I missed her so much.
I found my letter first,and it instantly reduced me to tears-it was my 15th birthday and I was thanking her for sending me some boots as a gift.
Then I read my Dad's letter...I realized after reading it what was really going on-I knew my Uncle Tom was sick,but I didn't realize he was dying.My uncle was a WW II vet and was seriously wounded at Dunkirk-he was the family hero.My Mom went home to be with him and her family which she missed so much.Tommy died while my Mom was there.It was like he waited for her to come home.
My good friend Bill was living with us at the time,and there's a passage in my Dad's letter that says-"I'm managing pretty well as far as food,washes,etc.,but never seem to be able to keep the place as clean & picked up as you do!Rob and Bill still help,but not an awful lot!!HA!" The "awful lot" was underlined-The Brady Bunch it was not.
I had a co worker ask me about my folks the other day,and when he learned that they were both gone,asked me how often I thought about them.And I said every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment