Sunday, September 21, 2008

The fat lady goes swimming
I haven't been swimming in about 15 years. That's about the time that I decided I was just going to stay out of the Texas sun. As a kid, I had to start on my tan in March and I had to really work at it. In fact, I used to have a chart of what time of the day to lay out during what time of the year when I would tan and not burn. I think that sort of information is available now on the internet, but I learned by trial and error. I did always manage to get enough of a tan that I could spend 3 to 4 hours swimming at the pool in the mornings (forget afternoons - even with a good tan, I'd still burn.) And I swam a lot because when you have arthritis, swimming is about as good as it gets for physical activity.

Now as an adult, that whole building a base tan thing is way too much time and effort. And I hate, absolutely hate, indoor pools. Maybe it's the chlorine gassing off in an enclosed area or maybe there is mold growing in the corners, but every indoor pool I have ever tried has given me a splitting headache. Plus they are always crowded, noisy and cost money.

I had pretty much given up on swimming, but recently Rob started swimming at Stacy Pool in the evenings and I thought, "Hey, it's September. I could get in the pool in the evenings and not burn." Except I had no swimsuit and swimsuits in my size and torso length cost about $100. However, I really wanted to try swimming again so I cobbled together some exercise wear that sort of looks like a swimsuit and with an oversized black t-shirt covering it all up I gave it a try tonight. The outfit worked well enough and I discovered that I haven't forgotten how to swim and I can still float on my back forever. Ah, the back floating - so relaxing & pure bliss. I think this may be the perfect thing to do after a day at the call center.

No comments:

Post a Comment