Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Making believe...

It's been almost a month since my last post so I figured I'd better pop in and say something. Things at work have not been good, but I haven't wanted to post about it. The situation has so occupied my mind that I've been at a loss for words about anything else. The short version is that everyone in my job position was called in individually to discuss concerns and issues that we had about the job duties. My conversation did not go well at all and I was basically told that if I didn't like the way things were structured that I should consider other employment. I was then told that I was doing a lousy job. This was news to me, though it was coming from someone who is not my boss and has no idea what I do. Unfortunately what this person thinks is the law of the land, whether it's true or not, so I'm now forever branded as a poor performer. Because that's the way it works around there - once you get labeled that way, there's nothing you can do to turn it around - the sun could suddenly start shining out of my ass and they'd still say I was a poor performer.

A week or so after I had that fateful conversation, my best bud at work came in one day, decided he had enough of the direction the company was taking and quit. He'd been there since 1999 so he definitely had a long view of the situation. I haven't talked to him personally since he left, but have heard he's very happy to be done with the whole mess. I'm glad to hear it, but I'm also jealous and I miss him.

As for me, I am still going to work, but I'm now living up to my new reputation. And I did take that advice to seek other employment, but I haven't found it yet so I'll just have to keep up the poor performance for now.

If you've read this far, you are probably wondering what the post title has to do with any of this. It's too hard to explain, but it's a reference to a song covered by Social Distortion that reminds me of a particular time in life that was rather difficult, but turned out okay in the long run. Sometimes "Making Believe is all I can do."

No comments:

Post a Comment