Saturday, September 27, 2008

The week that was

I have managed to keep a bit of that post-vacation attitude at work. I also achieved what felt like a satisfactory balance between giving too much of a damn and not giving a shit at all. Thursday & Friday were high stress and high workload days so I feel like that was a pretty good accomplishment. And of course today was Saturday and Saturdays always suck, but I wasn't completely wiped out at the end of the day. Let's hope it lasts.

I listened to the debate last night (didn't watch, just listened) and was not impressed with either candidate. I would like to feel a bit more excited about Obama, but that debate did nothing to spark any enthusiasm. And McCain just managed to annoy me even more. Why does it always come down to voting against someone instead of voting for someone?

The big news in the US this week is the bail out of the financial sector. I have yet to read an adequate explanation of why this bail out is so necessary or why it has to be done practically overnight. In fact, I am rather pissed that I might pay an estimated $10,000 in extra taxes to save some Wall Street fat cats. Yes, I know there is more to it than that, but I don't think I'm alone in having that as a first gut reaction.

I didn't get any more swimming done this week. Rob was worn down from hard days at work while still recovering from his extra long hike last Sunday and I was worn down from working longer days at the call center which is very hard on my back. It was just too easy to blow it off and promise to make a better effort next week. Not swimming did allow me to get to bed at a very early hour most nights which I think I needed more than swimming anyway.

Last week I had Sunday off and then went back to work on Monday. As a result, we had a bit of a laundry crisis because I usually do laundry on Mondays. That's gonna repeat this week unless I remember to do at least a few days worth of work clothes for the both of us tomorrow. And well, clean socks will always be a problem for Rob no matter how often I do laundry because no matter how many pairs we buy, I can only find three or four pairs come time to do laundry. Other folks might complain about getting socks for Christmas, but I welcome them. Rob never has enough even though I don't wear them except on the few days that we get freezing temperatures and I drag out some closed toe shoes. Otherwise it's sandals or no shoes at all for me and while I might be descended from German immigrants, I don't do socks with sandals. Either there is a stash somewhere in this house of about 100 pairs of socks or the aliens sneak in and steal them along with our forks and spoons (there's also quite a few of those missing.)

The weather this week has been wonderful and we've actually had a couple of weeks of fall now. I sat out on the porch drinking coffee yesterday morning and the air felt chilly to me. Of course it wasn't really chilly at 60 degrees, but that's 20 degrees cooler than it had been a couple of weeks ago. It's almost cool enough to fire up the chimenea again and today's wiki-how was how to smoke fish in a chimenea. We are definately gonna give this a try some weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment