Sunday, November 30, 2003

WOW...ANOTHER YEAR HAS COME AND GONE...
I had my birthday today...I'm 44 years old. Certainly not a landmark birthday,but a birthday nonetheless. It's occurrance gave me pause to look back on other birthday's I've had...like my fortieth, where I had so much jagermiester I fell asleep in my chicken sandwich and cracked my head in the parking lot trying to wrestle a friend to the ground.
Or the many birthdays that I bought myself a tattoo to commerate the day...to mark myself with the passing of another year that I could look at in the future and go "oh yeah...I got this tat when I was 35".
I used to gear up for a birthday...steadily more excited in the days leading up to the big one...a big party,drunken debauchery and fuzzy memories.
I just don't have that kind of energy anymore.
So what did I do?
Last night, I went out to dinner with Ann and this morning I went to the gun range with my son and a couple of my friends...we fired off a few hundred rounds and then went to eat wings at BW3...after which we sat on my friends porch and visited.
No cake...no fanfare.
Just another day,but not just another day.
It was a day that I did what I WANTED...hard to come by these days.
Funny how things change.

No comments:

Post a Comment