Sunday, November 02, 2003

My exciting life - NOT
Laundry, dishes, picking up dog poop. Oh yeah, I'm living "The life of Riley". That idiom is probably meaningless to anyone younger than me and probably meaningless to a lot of people my age as well, but I had older parents so it was common use in the household when I was a kid. For those of you not familiar with the phrase, it means something along the lines of living the easy life. Well, unemployment has it's perks in that I have no outside job to go to every morning, but struggling to pay the bills and feeling the need to play housewife since I'm not earning an income has left me a bit unfulfilled. I wish I had inherited my mom's housework genes, but I didn't. I'm the kind of person that will not notice the dust bunnies in the hallway until they are so big that they actually attach to your pants leg as you are walking by them. Only then do I look in amazement at the mess in the hall and grab the broom. I have made great progress in keeping up with the dishes and the laundry since I've been unemployed, but I'm nowhere near my mom's super housework woman status. That woman worked a full-time job and kept a spotless house with absolutely no help from my dad. I can't figure out how she did it because I can't do it with NO job. Maybe housework was a "hobby" for my mom because she's mentioned that she actually LIKES it. I can't imagine such a thing. What possible thrill could one get from cleaning something that's only going to be dirty again in a few days? I think in my former lives I must have been a nomad...make a mess... leave it behind and move on...

No comments:

Post a Comment