Friday, November 07, 2003

A Few Random Thoughts
Rob gets the floor for discussing the entertaining (?) events of the evening so I'll just jot down some random things that I thought about today.

(1) I apparently run less risk of running afoul of city ordinances if I just beg for money on the street corners of Austin rather than attempt to sell an actual product. Perhaps I should take up begging as a full time profession instead.

(2) The stereotype of the Asian tourist with cameras is not just an exaggerated generality. I actually witnessed a tour bus disgorge approximately 20 Asians males who promptly proceeded to take pictures of the Whole Foods Grocery on Lamar. Maybe I need to take stereotypes a bit more seriously in the future.

(3) The job that "fits you to a tee" will *require* a college degree, which you don't have. I'm from a generation where you didn't need a degree unless you were going to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer. These days, even some of the clerk positions require a friggin' college degree. The job pays $10/hour and requires a degree? Unfortunately for me, in this town, they'll have plenty of "qualified" applicants.

(4) A 20 degree drop in temperature in Austin, TX will result in everyone wearing jackets even though it's only down to 50 degrees. Including myself. It's was only 50 degrees this morning and I was running my underdesk heater. What a wimp!

(5) Duct tape has been an essential item for me long before the Homeland Security Department ever stated we should all possess a roll of it. We used to refer to it as "hundred mile an hour tape" back when I was a street racer and I can testify that it actually holds up quite well to 150 MPH if needed. It comes in handy for so many things and one use that many of you may not have thought about (or ever needed) is those times when you need to leave the light on in a room, yet you have a compulsive light turner-offer like me living in the house. Just stick a piece of duct tape over the light switch and that's enough to remind the compulsive light turner-offer to leave the damn light on. In this case it 's because there's a turtle soaking in the bathtub, but I seriously doubt that's something that would occur on a regular basis in most households. I'm sure there must be other equally valid reasons to leave a light on in a room because otherwise my habit of turning the lights off wouldn't have rendered so many screams of protest over the years....

No comments:

Post a Comment