Saturday, November 08, 2003

Political Compass
This seems to be making the rounds this week as I found it mentioned by both Essay and Robert. Like Robert, I had taken it long ago when it first hit the net and all I remember was I ended up somewhere near the Dalai Lama. At that time I was completely taken by surprise when I fell on the left side of the economic scale. I've always considered myself to be a strong supporter of capitalism and free markets and back when I was in college (over 20 years ago) I once took a test that placed me firmly on the economic right. No communism for this gal. Obviously something had changed over the years and after a bit of thought about the matter I realized that I had simply spent too many years working for corrupt corporations who didn't give a damn about their employees. That was, after all, one of the reasons I walked away from a 15 year career in Human Resources. I got very tired of watching rank-and-file employees lose benefits and raises while upper level executives received huge annual pay increases and company provided Jaguars. With so much first hand knowledge about the ways that certain companies shit on their employees, my answers to the economic questions on this quiz definately fell towards the left. I decided to take the test again so I could add my numbers to Tim Lambert's chart of bloggers. Apparently a year of unemployment has pushed me even farther to the economic left and I blame the Patriot Act for the push closer towards the Libertarian end of the scale. I scored as follows:

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

I guess the next time someone tells me that I'm out in left field, I'll just have to agree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment