Saturday, November 22, 2003

PROFILES IN ANGER MANAGEMENT
Back in the day...2 years ago to be exact...me and my friends used to frequent a bar in south Austin. The G&S Lounge,which was connected to a liquor store owned by the same family it was so close to my house, they got my business too. That and the fact that the bar and the store were run by two guys I had known since 7th grade. We were never big buddies in school, but I knew them and liked them and because of that they got my business.
The brother that ran the store is an easy going type...always friendly,the brother that ran the bar is a complete fucking nutcase who could (and would turn on you in a heartbeat),known for running customers off with a cattle prod without provocation...that is unless you count the crazy shit going on in his head.Even his brother acknowledged he is an asshole..."But what are you gonna do"?
There's an article at the Austin american statesman about the G&S lounge that further documents his craziness...look it up if you want.
Anyway,about two years ago we were in the bar having drinks and one of my friends made a joke about his ability to mix a particular drink...the next thing you know we're all kicked out with a blistering rant about what a bunch of assholes we all are,but especially focused on our friend that made the joke.That was the end of our patronage at the G&S...
I continued to do business at the liquor store and would on occasion see the bar owning brother who would snub me, and make snide remarks other times...I would look at the other brother for an explanation...What did I do?All I got was the he's an asshole,what else can I say?
So I blew it off and went about my business...until yesterday.
I got off work early and met Ann for lunch at Maudies, which ended up being margs and beers...when we left,Ann was gonna get beer and smokes and I was gonna go by the liquor store and get marg fixin's.
When I got to the store both brothers were there and I attempted to make small talk with the asshole (I should've known better but I had a buzz) he was,true to form,an asshole to me for no reason and stormed out of the store and went back to the bar.
The other brother and I shrugged our shoulders at each other and when I left the store I decided to go into the bar and call this asshole on his shit and hopefully resolve whatever issue there might be...BIG mistake.
He went from 0 to 60 in no time...went off on how me and asshole friends ripped him off(We tipped the balance...even when he gave us deals...if somebody walked a tab,I wasn't there or didn't know about it)...he was threatening,verbally abusive and basically backed me out of the bar entrance,asking me if I "wanted some shit".
So, here I am, with a guy I've known on and off since 1971 that I've never had a harsh word with about to throw down over an incident that happened some two years ago...talk about holding a grudge.
As much as I wanted to drop his sorry ass right there on the sidewalk in front of his bar, I didn't...it was his bar and I had a buzz...law was on his side.I walked away even though I wanted to beat his sorry ass to a pulp.
I'm not a violent man...I don't like to fight,never have...but I can,and my experience in psych hospitals affords me an advantage over your regular joe when it comes to subduing nutcases (and in this case...kicking ass on them).
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this one...it's not over.This I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment