Monday, June 18, 2007

HEY GRANDPA!WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?!!!

Probably the only drudgery to our married life is what to eat for our evening meal,I mean,you can only eat so many different things and as the years pass you run out of new and exciting things to prepare.And as the primary preparer,I am almost over preparing.
Being in the trade I'm in has not helped...electricians eat a lot of shitty foods fresh from the snack section of your local islamic jihadi-mart.
"Hey!Have you had the deli express chicken salad sandwich with the lays bbq chips and a coke?It beats the hell out of that mom's chicken salad sandwich with the Tom's salt and vinegar chips and a doctor pepper ...even with the lil' debbie's lemon pie, deli express kicks ass!Way more mayo and celery bits.
I have been ruined by the snack food industry and the taco trucks that roll up on our job sites offering things with names you recognize,but when you open them to season them they look like that frog in Pan's Labyrinth after it swallowed the 3 stones.But you call it "Carne Guisada" and eat it anyway.
But,back to the point.Every night we say to each other:"Honey,have you thought about dinner"?And the answer is ultimately yes,with predictable caveats..."yes...but nothing sounds good" is a favorite."Yes,but I can't get past 'something with gravy'...is another.
Then,when the fridge and pantry will allow,"let's just fend for our selves" or in the other parlance..."you wanna just scrounge"?
Which tonight led to the age old culinary exchanges...
Me:"Well,we have have the microwaveable beefsteak fingers".
Ann:"Oh...I forgot about those...do we have any cheese"?
Me:"I don't know,but I do know I don't wanna order a pizza,or gook food,or a sandwich from south austin flying pizza...we have sloppy joe's"!
Ann:"But nothing to put them on"
Me:"We have tortillas...I could make sloppy joe quesidillas".
Ann:"But we don't have any cheese".
Me:"We might have a little bit...ummm...we have eggs...I wonder what sloppy joe and egg tacos would taste like"?
Ann:"probably pretty good if we had some cheese".
And that was the end of the conversation.
I have milk and fruity pebbles and toaster garlic toast and ketchup...I don't know what Ann's back up is,but I'm good.

No comments:

Post a Comment