Sunday, June 10, 2007

Alas, the party's over
I've been on VACATION (finally, after being postponed twice) and I'm really sad to see it end. The rub is that people who work a "normal" M-F scheduled would see a total of nine days off for a week of vacation time - that's the weekend before, then the M-F of vacation time and the weekend after. For me, I worked at the office on Sunday, then worked from home on Monday, then went back to the office on Tuesday and finally started the vacation on Wednesday. And ignored work for four days until tonight when I had to check my email. So it was actually just a bit shy of five days off, but still better than nothing. Now I didn't do anything exciting or go anywhere - just did a bit of housework and some computer gaming, but I got to see a lot more of Rob than I usually do which was the best part. I've learned from past experience that week of vacation is never enough and a real vacation is at least two weeks or more since it takes one week alone to purge the work crap out of your system before you can start to enjoy yourself. Unfortunately the job I have only allows one week at a time and now we have new restrictions on when we can take it - from now on, no vacation time at all is allowed during November through February. The reasons this job sucks continue to pile up and my new schedule which starts in July doesn't improve things much. Although I will no longer be working nights, I'll be working every weekend - yes, both Saturday and Sunday. Which is preferable to working nights, but it still sucks. Now I'm a firm believer, based on past experience, in "I'm where I'm at for a reason" and "One thing leads to another", but that doesn't negate the fact that sometimes where you are at is nothing more than a real pain in the ass. There are financial circumstances at the moment that prevent me from quiting voluntarily at the moment - ah, if I'd only jumped on it back in April when I submitted my resignation... then again, I suppose we'd be really fucked now if I had done that. Maybe that just means it's all working out like things normally do. And so I will return to work tomorrow and attempt to achieve the apparently impossible goals set forth in last Tuesday's meeting and hopefully surprise myself and others by actually attaining them. It's happened before, but not because I'm some sort of super-manager. Twas nothing more than blind luck. And that could happen again. One never knows and I have traditionally been a very lucky gal...

No comments:

Post a Comment