Monday, October 17, 2005

LIFE IS STRANGE...OR, WHAT A WEEKEND

That really started around Thursday of last week. My sons baby blog is gone, replaced by a darker, more sinister version of the original. Cryptic statements abound, plus the ongoing war between him and a former friend ( who my son is convinced is my beloved anonymous...could be, who knows? It's still fun. ) getting uglier and uglier. Gloom and doom on the horizon. Lack of employment...eviction. I spare the details to maintain privacy...for Kyle and his family. That's right, he has one of those now...at 20 years old, the reality of which I think has fucked with his head some. Suffice to say it wasn't good and I was concerned.
Concerned enough to call my ex...his mom,to reach out and join up forces to go down to his place unannounced on saturday and suss out just exactly what the hell was going on, and to do something together, as his parents. Of the concerned variety. Needless to say, he was stunned to see us together.
Now,regular readers of depthmarker have read things I've written about Kyle's mom and me...In that writing, I've tried to paint an unbiased picture of what happened. I may or may not have been successful in that endeavor, time has a way of clouding things. It went south, I did my stupid shit, she did hers...but the bottom line was and is we love our son, and he spent more than a few years splitting us off from each other ( you know I'm right kid :) ) but that doesn't matter anymore. It's a different scenario.
When you get right down to it, we came together to try to help our son, we are the reason he's here, we are obligated...out of love and devotion and all that other stuff.
So we lined up together and went in as a team.
And a funny thing happened on the way. We had some windshield time, aside from coming up with a plan for this visit, we had a chance to make some small talk, and through that small talk I remembered some of the things that attracted me to her in the first place. Not the romantic lovey shit, but the core person shit. A woman of conviction
and a skilled educator, banging away as a teacher all these years, plying her craft. I had a chance to study the lines in her face, a roadmap of what she's been through in these years since we were last together, and they told a tale of loss and remorse and grief and pain, and hard work. Just like me. And some joy...I'd like to think there was some of that for her too. I've had some.
It was a chance to make some peace, and help our son and his family.
I hope we pulled it off.
No matter what else happens in my circle between now and when I check out, I want my son to be happy, and successful and fufilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment