Friday, October 14, 2005

FLYING LADDER

This afternoon after work, me and Rusty ( my journeyman ) were heading out to the lake to help an electrician friend out on some electrical stuff. The road to the lake is windy and hilly, and unfortunately loaded with traffic because it's a popular place to live. It wasn't always like that, but that's another post. Anyway, we're on this downhill "S" curve right before a major intersection ( RR2222 & 360 for you local readers ) by The county line on the lake, when this service truck coming in the opposite direction ejected a 6 foot ladder from its rack right in front of us. It skipped into the outside lane (we were in the inside) and this toyota truck in that lane locked up his brakes in front of us as the ladder passed under his truck spitting it back across the lanes, and he spun around sideways into our lane no more that 15 feet in front of me, he had wheels in the air and looked liked he might flip over.Here I am in a 3/4 ton service truck going 55mph down a S shaped hill with a 30 degree grade trying to dodge a small truck. He managed to correct after skidding in and out of our lane a couple of more times and roll to a stop on the right of way, and I managed not to hit him. It was a close call...it freaked me out. I said something along the lines of "that was fucking intense, huh"?
And Rusty looked up from his paperwork and said " You wanna turn around and go get that ladder"?
Dammit...and I thought I had nerves of steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment