Sunday, May 15, 2005

Traffic thoughts
Once upon a time when I was a teenager, my boyfriend and I used to play a game. We'd sit out on the swing of his parent's front porch and try to guess the make, model and year of the cars that drove by. I realize that teenaged lovers normally do other things out on the front porch swing, but he lived on Manchaca Road which was a major thoroughfare and had way too much traffic to permit pursuit of those other activities. Instead, the level of traffic was perfect if you wanted to play this kind of game and very unlike the front porch of my parent's house which had a passing car about once every couple of hours. The memory of this game came back to me today as I sat on my own front porch this afternoon and realized the level of traffic on my "neighborhood" street seemed every bit as much as what used to drive down Manchaca Road back in 1975. That's a rather startling conclusion given that Sunday afternoons are a rather light traffic day in our neighborhood. But at an average of about 6 cars a minute (I timed it) it definately appears that even more cars pass my house today on my "neighborhood" street than the number of cars that used to pass my boyfriend's parent's house on a major thoroughfare back in 1975. Kinda freaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment