Friday, May 20, 2005

Musica
Rob was trying to tune his guitar tonight without the benefit of a tuner and not having much luck. I decided to give it a try and was hit by a flood of memories. You see, I frustrated more than one piano teacher as a child because they thought I had "perfect pitch". Except that I could never name the notes. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get notes to have names in my head. I could name the written notes on the piano score and the keys on the keyboard, but I could not name the sounds. I could tell you if a note was in tune or not, but could never say if it was a C or a G or an F#. They could play a record for me and I could play it back on the piano with the correct notes in the correct key, but I couldn't say off the top of my head while listening to the record, "That's in the key of C". Therefore, it was always decided that I didn't have "perfect pitch". So when I tuned Rob's guitar tonight I figured I could, at best, get things close since it's been thirty years since I messed with any of that "perfect pitch" stuff and to boot, I'm barely a bass player and definately not a guitar player. After I was done, it sounded right and Rob was able to play it just fine, but I couldn't help but wonder just how accurate I was. I drug out an electronic keyboard and scratched in my memory for the names of the notes of the open strings on the guitar and tested them against the keyboard. It turned out my tuning was absolutely perfect. Apparently even though I can't name that note, I can still tune it off the top of my head, from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment