Tuesday, May 17, 2005

LIFE IN THREE PARTS...OK , MAYBE FOUR

PART ONE

I thought maintenance guys were dummies. We are in the middle of a slowdown where I work, so the week is shorter hours wise. Being in the union I could drag off this job and sign the books and go somewhere else, but I don't want to. I like where I am, and I want to stay there. I just don't know if we can suffer through financially. Plus, as I've mentioned before, journeyman electricians are notorious for treating apprentices like shit. I can handle playing and teasing, but if you shit on me, I'm sorry, I'm gonna shit on you. I've been around too long to be demeaned. So, the option is non union full time employment. My social worker days are long over, mostly because I don't have the heart for it anymore and partly because (and more practically) no one would hire me looking like I do...so, it's maintenance work for me.
I applied at an apartment complex today who advertised a preference for people with pool experience. My pool experience was the first thing out of my mouth..."I can clean your pools, I can maintain and repair your equipment, and I was a parts manager so I know what to get when it breaks and know how to find it". They were impressed. Then they gave me the packet.
The one with the 100 item test. TEST!!!!AUGHHHHH! I hate tests. I did ok with the plumbing and electrical sections, I managed the carpentry and appliance repair sections. I completely tanked on the HVAC section. I can change a filter on a air conditioner, but beyond that I'm Corky from Life goes on. We'll see what happens.

PART TWO

Side jobs are a definite possibility. I went to my corner store and spoke with the owner about doing some minor electrical repair for him on the side. He immediately said I need my side lights repaired - you can start there. They are getting bulbs and will call me. He owns several stores in Austin, so this could develop into something sweet.

PART THREE

I want to live in TVLand. For some stupid reason, I watched an episode of Highway to heaven with Micheal Landon as the angel. This particular episode dealt with trying to integrate an amerasian child into the family...you see, dad was "lonely" and "afraid" while he was in the Nam, and stilled his apprehension and fear by tagging one of the locals. They had a lovely girl child who lived a life of hatred and derision until mamasan shipped her off to america, where she was met with the american version of hatred and derision. The son's best friend from next door father was killed in Nam by a "gook", so he is naturally full of hate, his mom congratulates the new mother on getting a maid asking "has she figured out american vacuums yet"? There is much conflict. Finally, Jonathan (landon) and his sidekick (Victor French ) solve the problem with guidance from god. They also paint the new parents house by some "coincidence" and are present to intervene and set things right. It appears that the neighbor boys dad was killed while helping "his adopted children" in Saigon...and those children were...you guessed it, those amerasian orphans that our american soldiers populated the countryside with while they were dealing with their "fear" and "apprehension" by searching for some "peace". The gook hating bigots are magically transformed and this transformation coincides with the girls birthday. Sweet.
All kidding aside, and scraping off the unbelievable amount of cheese, I had to give the writers props for clumsily tackling an important issue of the day with such honesty (albiet schlocky as hell, and with Micheal Landon as the impetus of change ). This was pretty ballsy for TV circa 1977, and I was a little impressed.
That a generational problem could be resolved in an hour was somehow appealing to me and a reminder of how fucking naive we were 30 years ago. It was almost refreshing to remember a time when understanding was so simple.
And then I switched over to CNN where some guy named Galloway from England was dressing down an inquiry committee about this mess in the middle east. He rocked. He spoke the simple truth ( in my mind ) and the assholes on the inquiry committee ( also in my opinion ) were at a bit of a loss.
This one won't be solved in an hour. Where's Landon and French when you need them?

PART FOUR

I have some Hummel figurines from the late 50's and early 60's...any takers? Yeah, I thought not.

No comments:

Post a Comment