Thursday, December 27, 2007

Cold... sort of
It's been chilly here in Austin and temps were in the mid-twenties this morning when I left for work. I wore a sweater and a jacket to work, but still had on sandals since it wasn't raining and I figured temps would be up in the 40s soon after the sun rose. My feet don't get cold much unless it's raining, though the rest of me does. I realize mid-twenties isn't that cold, but it sure feels cold when daytime temps were just in the 80s. We get those colder temps so seldom here that we didn't bother replacing our whole-house wall-heater when we remodeled. We use electric oil-filled heaters in strategic locations at night, but turn them off during the day when we are at work. We have one in the bedroom and if it's going to be down in the teens or twenties we just close the door to keep the room plenty warm for sleeping under a comforter. There's a small one in the bathroom that makes that room nice and warm for the morning - the rest of the house can be cold, but I've got to have a warm bathroom if there is a shower or bath involved! Then there's one by the computer desks that I turn on at night since I like to sit at the computer in the morning with my coffee and it keeps a bit of the evening chill off that area (though I still need my under-desk heater once I'm awake and sitting at my desk.) We have other heaters in other parts of the house, but we only use them on the rare occasions that daytime temps don't get much above freezing for a few days. When that happens the cold drafts from the other parts of the house overwhelm the heat in the spot areas so we always have to warm those other areas up a bit or we'd have to wear parkas. Fortunately those times are few and far between and the amount of money we spend on heat in the winter now is far less than we used to spend with that awful whole-house heater. I suppose if you like to have your *entire* house warm at one time this would never work for you, but I'm quite content with my spot heating. Warming up by my under-desk heater is a lot like warming up by a campfire. And a hot bath in a warm bathroom is so much more appreciated when the rest of the house is a bit on the chilly side. I often say that I hate the cold weather, but I guess I have to admit that it has some good points after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment